John Piper

(39) Terrington St Clement

  • Signed (lower right) Painted in 1980
  • Oil on canvas laid on panel
  • 8.5 x 11.75 ins

£20,000

Provenance:
Bohun Gallery, Henley-on-Thames

The Parish Church of Terrington St Clement in Norfolk is often referred to as The Cathedral of the Marshland. Built in the 14th Century, it is reputed to be one of the finest 'perpendicular' churches in England. Piper had been drawn to East Anglia from the age of seventeen when he charted a road trip around a number of its villages and churches.

In 1940 he wrote about The Towers in the Fens in The Architectural Review of November 1940. He visited East Anglia many times over the course of his career and depicted many of the county's churches. In
1976 Piper's friend, Wilhelmine Harrod, the author of The Shell Guide to Norfolk, established the Norfolk Churches Trust to counteract the 1968 Pastoral Measure which threatened to sell or demolish many of Norfolk's churches. Piper offered his support and sold works, both paintings and prints, in aid
of the Trust.

Please note the price of this work is subject to Artist's Resale Right