John Carter RA (b. 1942)
Carter studied at the Twickenham School of Art from 1958 and then at Kingston School of Art until 1963. On winning a Leverhulme Travelling Scholarship, he went to Italy where he made his first constructed works at the British School at Rome. In 1966 Carter won a Peter Stuyvesant Travel Bursary to the U.S.A. and was included in the 'New Generation: 1966' exhibition at the Whitechapel Art Gallery. His first solo exhibition was at the Redfern Gallery, London, in 1968. In 1977 and 1979 he won Arts Council awards and in 1983 the Warwick Arts Trust held a retrospective exhibition 'Die Ecke' at Galerie Hoffmann, Freidberg, Germany, where he made his first contact with European concrete and constructive artists. He has since exhibited widely in Europe, Japan and the U.S.A. Carter taught at Chelsea College of Art and Design until his retirement from the post in 1999. He lives and works in London. His work is held in numerous public collections including the Arts Council of Great Britain; the British Council; the Musée de Cambrai; the Museum in Kulturspeicher, Würzburg, the Pfalzgalerie, Kaiserslautern and the Museum Ritter, Waldenbuch.